Generally, we recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the ProSeries software to select a workstation as the administrator. However, if the need is urgent, the steps below walk you through updating the admin computer, without uninstalling the program.
Before you start:
- For ProSeries 2015 and later, you don't need to change the AllowUpdates='s line, in steps 7, at all because you are now able to update the program from all machines on the network.
- If steps below result in an access denied error, it may be necessary to log in to Windows as an Administrator.
- This article references default installation paths and uses YY to reference the tax year in 20YY format. C: will always indicate the local drive and X: will always indicate the network drive.
Identifying the Admin workstation:
Only the admin computer has the Workstation Install Instructions.
- Open ProSeries.
- From the Help menu, check if this computer has Workstation Install Instructions as an option.
- Repeat on each computer until you identify the one with the Workstation Install Instructions.
Changing a workstation to an administrator:
- Close ProSeries on each workstation.
- Open the File Explorer.
- Go to your C: drive.
- Open the ProWinYY folder, and then 32bit folder.
- Open the configuration file ProWinYY.ini.
- Look for the section labeled [Preferences].
- If under this section Admin=1 is displayed, it is the admin workstation.
- If there it displays Admin=0, it is a user workstation.
- Change the line that says Admin=0 to Admin=1 and AllowUpdates=0 to AllowUpdates=1.
- From the File menu, click Save.