This article will help with how to transfer data from the prior year to the current year in the Information Return System (IRS).
Before you start:
- If the company doesn't show up in the Company Selection or is listed twice, use ALT-B to rebuild the list.
- Never delete one of the multiple companies on the Company Selection display, as the additional is a ghost, and deleting one deletes them both.
- This utility can only be used between consecutive year programs.
- For example, the prior year data utility in the 2023 IRS program only transfers from the 2022 IRS program.
- The Prior Year Transfer utility transfers 1099 recipient and employee information, such as SSNs, federal ID's, names, addresses, and phone numbers.
- Amounts are not transferred.
Follow these steps to transfer data:
- Open the IRS program.
- At the System Navigator, select Prior Year Utilities.
- In the Current Data Path field, enter the location of the prior year returns (for example C:\IRS2022\DATA).
- Select the company (or companies) to transfer.
- Select Transfer Data from the top right.
- In the Destination field, input the location to store the current year data (for example C:\IRS2023\DATA).
- Select OK to start the transfer.
- You may print a list of the companies transferred.
- To begin processing returns, select Go to > Company Selection and select a company.
- The Current Data Path after the transfer should display the current year.