Use Batch Payroll to take advantage of calculating automatic deductions.
How to set up:
- Go to the Employee Information screen > Wage/withholding tab.
- Enter the description of the garnishment in the first unused WH field.
- Leave the boxes unchecked because garnishments typically don't affect tax calculations.
- Make this a recurring deduction by following the steps below. Otherwise, go to step 4.
- Go to the Contrib./Deductions tab.
- Go to Automatic Deductions > W/H field column, and select the assigned W/H item from the dropdown menu.
- Enter the number(s) of the pay period(s) of the deduction in the Periods column.
- Enter 13 if the deduction will only be from the first and third paychecks in the month.
- Enter 12345 if the deduction will be from all pay periods in the month.
- Enter the amount of the deduction:
- If the deduction is a flat amount per check, enter the amount.
- If the deduction is a percent of Gross Pay, enter a percentage (EasyACCT only calculates the % from Gross Pay, not Net Pay). If the deduction must be made from Net Pay, the amount must be manually entered in the Review (Edit) Computed Checks screen.
- If there's a maximum amount to withhold, enter the amount in the Balance field (this amount will be reduced with each paycheck using Batch Payroll).
- If a check is entered manually or after-the-fact, the balance should be adjusted manually.
- Go to Process Payroll > Payroll Check Computation.
- Select a pay period frequency (weekly, bi-weekly or semi-monthly) in the section Current Pay Period for Contrib./Deductions. This is required for the automatic deduction.
- Continue processing payroll.