If you're missing information or you entered incorrect information under Wages, Salaries Tips, the following e-file diagnostics may generate:
- e-File: Form W-2 #(W-2 Number): e-file state identification number is missing. (ref. #38876)
- e-File: Form W-2 # (W-2 Num): One or more of the state abbreviations entered under the Electronic Filing (W-2 State/Local) section is invalid. Verify that only standard postal state abbreviations are entered in these fields. (ref# 15078)
The state information is usually automatically filled out using the information in the Employer Information section under Wages, Salaries, Tips. Removing the state abbreviation and ID number from the Electronic Filing (W-2 State/Local) grid and reentering it may resolve the diagnostic, especially for multi-state returns.
Follow these steps to resolve the diagnostics:
- Go to Input Return ⮕ Wages, Salaries, Tips.
- Select the W-2.
- Scroll down to the Electronic Filing (W-2 State/Local) section.
- Make sure the information in the (15) St and (15) Employer's State ID Number grids match Form W-2, box 15.
- If there's more than one state, make sure the states are listed in the same row as their ID numbers.
- If there's no state withholding, delete all information for that state from the grid.