To generate Form 8332 in the program:
- Go to Input Return ⮕ Miscellaneous Forms ⮕ Release of Exemption (8332)
- Check the box to generate the applicable part of Form 8332
- Completing Part I (Release of Claim to Exemption for Current Year)
- Completing Part II (Release of Claim to Exemption for Future Years)
- Completing Part III (Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption for Future Years)
- Enter the field labeled Enter the name of the child for this Form 8332.
- Select the Type of parent.
- If applicable:
- Mark the checkbox labeled Parent is spouse.
- Enter the Other parent name.
- Enter the Other parent SSN.
- Enter the Future tax years (Part II or III).
- Enter the Signature date.
- To enter additional children, click the + sign at the top of the screen.
Form 8332 must be attached as a PDF when e-filing. The program will generate an informational diagnostic, ref #3372).
If the custodial parent is releasing their claim to the exemption, per the form instructions, they don't file the Form 8332—the noncustodial parent who will claim the exemption does. If the custodial parent doesn't wish to file the Form 8453, there are two options:
- Prepare the Form 8332 on the custodial parent's return.
- Print, sign, and distribute to noncustodial parent.
- Delete the data entered in Release of Claim to Exemption (8332) to prevent the Form 8453 from generating.
- Prepare the Form 8332 on the noncustodial parent's return. Make entries in these fields:
- Other parent name
- Other parent SSN