This article will help you generate Form 8915-E, Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments, or Form 8915-F in 2021. These forms are used to report COVID-19 related distributions from an IRA or other retirement plan, like a 401(k). The taxable amount of qualifying distributions can be spread over three years.
Before you start:
Form 8915-F (Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments) replaces Form 8915-E for 2021 and later years.
- Qualifying coronavirus-related distributions made any time during 2020 can claim disaster relief.
- The IRS doesn't support Form 8915-E or Form 8915-F as an e-file form. You must attach the completed form as a PDF for e-filing.
To generate form 8915-F:
- Go to Screen 13.1, Pensions, IRA Distributions.
- Enter any 1099-Rs received in 2021.
- Click on Disaster Carryovers at the top left of the screen.
- Press the Step 2 button to jump down to the 2020 Qualified Disaster Distributions section of the input.
- If you proforma'ed this client from Lacerte 2020, some entries will already be made here.
- Enter or verify the 2020 disaster distribution information here.
- Enter any Repayments made before filing 2021 tax return, if applicable.
Attaching Form 8915-F as a PDF
Lacerte can automatically generate and attach a PDF of this and other required forms when you e-file. To verify you have this setting activated:
- Press Crtl + O on your keyboard, or click the Settings menu at the top of your program, and select Options.
- At the top of the user options window, select the Setup tab.
- In the Program Options section, locate the item labeled Auto Generate and Attach PDFs to EFiles.
- Verify this item is set to Yes. Click OK to save your settings and close the window.
If you don’t have auto-attachments enabled, an informational diagnostic will generate to remind you to attach the form manually. See here for help attaching a PDF.