To enter amounts from Form 1098-C for a noncash contribution of a motor vehicle:
- Go to Screen 26, Noncash Contributions (8283).
- Select Additional Electronic Filing Information from the left section menu.
- Enter a 1 in 1=1098-C, 2=equivalent.
- Enter other amounts under section Contributions of $5000 or Less.
If the return is marked for e-file, the program automatically generates an 8453. Lacerte marks the box Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes (or equivalent contemporaneous written acknowledgement). If the form isn't attached as a PDF, it must be mailed with the return (if not filing electronically) or mailed with the 8453 to Austin, TX.
Steps required to attach the form as a PDF:
- Scan the document, if it isn't already in PDF format.
- Save the file where you can find it.
- Go to Screen 4, Electronic Filing.
- Select the PDF Attachment button, then Attach PDF.
- Select Browse to find the PDF file, then OK.
- Select the dropdown for Link to form (defaults to main form).
- Select the + next to Form 8283.
- Select Form 1098C.