Before you start:
We recommend creating a copy of the original return to save the entries as they were filed; however, printing or e-filing from the copied return will incur a new charge. You'll want to make changes, print, and e-file from the original return, while saving the copy for your records. See here for instructions.
Follow these steps to amend Form 1041:
- Go to the Input Return tab.
- On the left-side menu, select Misc. Forms.
- Scroll down the forms list, and select 1041 Amended Return.
- Select the box Amended return (MANDATORY).
- Enter any Tax paid with original return or Overpayment from original return, if applicable.
- These amounts will adjust any balance due or refund on the client letter.
- Select the box Filing pursuant to section 301.9100-2 if you're amending due to missing elections.
- Select the Statement link in the top right to go to the Amended Return Detail section.
- Enter the following information:
- Line number
- Original amount
- Amended amount
- Use the main input screens to make your changes to Form 1041.
- For example, if amending to report additional interest income, go to the Income > Interest Income screen, and enter the amount there.
- Go to the Check Return tab to view forms and review your results.
You should now see Form 1041 with the amended return box selected at the beginning of page 1. You can view the explanation of changes statement following the last page of Form 1041. The explanation will be included in the e-file, or printed with the return, for paper filers.