Lacerte automatically carries the balance due shown on Form 1040 to Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return based on the various inputs entered for the return.
Follow these steps to enter a different payment amount:
- Go to Screen 9, Extensions (4868, 2350).
- Locate the Automatic Extension section.
- Enter a 1 in 1 = automatic extension, 2 = blank (MANDATORY).
- Enter the Total tax liability (-1=none) [O].
- Enter the Total payments [O].
- Enter the Form 4868 payment (defaults to amount due) [O].
When electronically filing a group of extensions, Lacerte will transmit the balance due if you don't enter an override on Screen 9, Extensions.
Follow these steps to e-file electronic payments with extension:
- Go to Screen 3, Miscellaneous Information/Direct Deposit.
- Scroll down to the Direct Deposit of Refund / Electronic Payment section.
- Under the Extension subsection, check the Electronic payment of tax due with extension box.