The Lacerte program will take the amount from the W-2 Box 12 code L and report it on the 1040, line 1 as income if a 2106 is required based on Screen 30, Vehicle/Employee Business Expenses (2106). Any reimbursement amount that is greater than the expense, will flow to the 1040 line 1 as additional income.
To link the W-2 Box 12 Code L amounts to the correct expenses on the 2106:
- Go to screen Screen 10, Wages, Salaries, Tips.
- Scroll down to Box 12.
- In the field If 'L' above, employee business expense schedule name or number (code 53) click in the drop-down menu and choose the activity number found on screen 30.
If the amount is not flowing correctly:
- Go to Screen 30, Vehicle/Employee Business Expense
- In the Vehicle/Employee Business Expense (2106) section review, the Form (Ctrl+T) entered.
- This must be Form 2106, not Schedule C, for the expenses to be included as income.
- Make sure there is an entry in the field 1=qualified performing artist, 2=handicapped 3=fee=based government official.
What if my taxpayer is not required to file Form 2106?
- Go to Screen 14.1 Miscellaneous Income.
- Choose the Alimony and Other Income section.
- Enter the amount in the Other income (Ctrl+E) field.