This article will help you with frequently asked questions about Form 1040, Schedule 2 in Lacerte.
Most lines of this form are calculated using other forms in the tax return. If you’re not sure where to enter amounts, right-click on any line of the form and select Jump-to-input.
Why is Lacerte calculating an additional HSA tax?
This usually occurs when your client’s W-2 reports HSA contributions, but you haven’t indicated their type of health plan coverage yet. To enter coverage:
- Go to Screen 32.1, Health Savings Accounts (8889).
- Enter a 1 or 2 in Type of coverage: 1=self-only, 2=family.
Why is an MSA tax calculating?
An additional tax on MSA contributions or distributions may generate if your entries on Screen 32.2, Medical Savings Accounts are incomplete. Learn more here.
Where do I enter other taxes for line 17z?
- Go to Screen 45.3, Schedule J, Recapture, Other Taxes.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Other Taxes section.
- Enter the amount and a description in Other taxes (Ctrl+E).