This article will help you when
- When trying to open a client and receiving the error "Cannot locate file. Would you like to browse?".
- When trying to e-file the tax return may fail to convert or send with the error message "Return Failed Conversion" in the Conversion Log.
- Trying to open the return after successfully e-filing the tax return and seeing"File not Found" or "Cannot locate [path to client file]. Would you like to browse?"
This is usually caused by an anti-virus real-time scan interfering with the ProSeries e-file conversion process. Typically, the anti-virus software will quarantine the client file and change it to a hidden temp file as part of the anti-virus software's normal process when it thinks a file may be a threat. To prevent anti-virus scans from interfering with the ProSeries e-file process, see How to exclude ProSeries from real-time system scans.
Before you start:
- This article references default installation paths and uses YY to reference the tax year in 20YY format. C: will always indicate the local drive and X: will always indicate the network drive.
- Some steps will require you to access hidden files and folders on your Windows PC. Click here for instruction on how to make those files and folders visible.
Recovering missing converted client files:
Missing client files can often be recovered by locating and renaming the temporary files that these files are typically converted to by the anti-virus software. If these steps don't work the missing client files will need to be restored from a previous backup or manually re-keyed. ProSeries support won't be able to recover the clients files as we don't store or keep copies of your client files. For more assistance recovering missing files contact a local IT professional or data recovery service.
- Close ProSeries
- ProSeries must be closed on all Network workstations that access the data directory. A failure to close ProSeries before completing the next steps may result in further data loss or client file corruption.
- Open Windows File Explorer
- Browse to the ProSeries Data folder.
- For ProSeries Basic the default is C:\BasWinYY\YYData
- For ProSeries Professional stand alone the default is C:\ProWinYY\YYData
- For ProSeries Professional network the default is X:\ProNetYY\YYData
- Look for any .tmp file with a random set of alphanumeric characters as the file name.
- Double-click on the temp file to open that file in ProSeries
- Review the content of the return that opened to see if it contains the data for a missing client.
- Close ProSeries but don't save the file.
- Right-click on the .tmp file and choose Rename.
- Change the file name to a name you'll recognize for the client. The file extension should match the return type:
- For individual returns, the extension should be .YYi.
- For corporate returns, the extension should be .YYc
- For S-Corporate returns, the extension should be .YYx
- For Partnership returns, the extension should be .YYp
- Open ProSeries.
- Try to open that client from the HomeBase.
- If the error persists you'll need to restore the client from a backup or the return will need to be re-entered.