Lacerte is generating the following e-file critical diagnostic:
"e-file: The program is unable to compute the Name Control based upon the Entity Name entered in the Client Information screen. You must enter the correct value in "Name Control [O]" Screen 2.2, code 10. For assistance in determining the correct Name Control, the taxpayer or authorized representative may contact the IRS Business Specialty Tax Line at 1-800-829-4933. If this does not match the name control in the IRS database (see the SS-4 confirmation notice from the IRS), the return will be rejected." (ref. #39283)
Why is this diagnostic generating?
This diagnostic generates when Lacerte is unable to determine the last name of the trust as it's currently entered. This usually occurs when a date or digits are entered in the Entity Name or Entity Name Line 2 field on Screen 1, Client Information.
Refer to IRS Pub. 4163 for more information about Name Control requirements.
Follow these steps to enter the Name Control for e-filing:
- Go to Screen 2.2, Electronic Filing.
- Locate the Miscellaneous section.
- Enter the 4 character Name Control in the Name control [O] field.
How do I know what Name Control to enter?
Solution 1: If you filed successfully through Lacerte last year.
Follow these steps to find the Name Control:
- Open the client return in last year's program.
- Go to the Diagnostics tab.
- Locate diagnostic (ref. #15640).
- Make a note of the Name Control identified in the diagnostic.
- Use the steps above to enter the Name Control in this year's program.
Solution 2: All other users
See here for the rules the IRS uses to assign Name Control to trusts and fiduciaries.