When working on an Individual return, you may encounter the following diagnostic in Intuit Lacerte:
- Dependent #: Doesn't qualify for the Child Tax Credit and/or Additional Child Tax Credit because the child doesn't have a valid SSN. However, dependents with ITINs or ATINs qualify for the $500 credit for other dependents. (ref. #45608)
- This diagnostic exists for tax year 2018 and later.
- Dependent #: Wasn't included in the Child Tax Credit and/or Additional Child Tax Credit computation because the child doesn't have a valid SSN, ITIN, or ATIN (ref. #45608)
- This diagnostic exists for tax year 2015 through 2017.
This diagnostic is triggered when a qualifying dependent has been excluded from the Child Tax Credit calculation due to a missing or invalid SSN, or when a valid ITIN, or ATIN is present and they qualify for the $500 credit for other dependents instead.
Follow these steps to clear the diagnostic if a valid SSN should be present:
- Go to Screen 2, Dependent Information.
- Enter a valid SSN, ATIN, or ITIN in the Social Security # field.
- For tax year 2015-2017: If entering an ITIN, make sure to select the correct corresponding response in the field for Dependent with ITIN (for CTC).
If a valid ITIN or ATIN has been entered, this diagnostic is informational to make sure you've noticed the change in treatment. In this situation, the diagnostic won't clear and can be ignored.
Follow these steps to override Form 8812:
- Go to Screen 38.2 Recovery Rebate, EIC, Residential Energy, Other Credits.
- Select Child Tax Credits in the left navigation panel.
- Enter the desired credit amount in Additional child tax credit (8812) [O] field.
- This will override the form and will require Form 8812 to be prepared outside of Lacerte. This return can't be e-filed when overridden.