Form 8958, Allocation of Tax Amounts Between Certain Individuals in Community Property States, is required for all federal returns (e-file or paper-file) filing as Married Filing Separately when the taxpayer and/or spouse live in a Community Property State, and suppressing the form will generate a critical e-file diagnostic.
Follow the steps below to suppress Form 8958 for non-community property state residents:
- Go to Screen 3.1, Community Property Income Allocation.
- Use Ctrl+W to go to batch input.
- Select 3.1 Income Alloc from the left menu panel.
- Select the first code listed in the Code column.
- Use Ctrl+D to delete all codes and amounts.
- Use Ctrl+W to go back to interactive mode.
Form 8958 should be suppressed once all codes and amounts have been deleted.