When attempting to e-file your client's return, the following critical diagnostic may generate:
e-file: Taxpayer's Signature Date is required for PIN signature e-file returns. To prevent this diagnostic from generating you can change the user option for "Computer date as PIN Signature Date" to "Yes" in Settings> Options> Tax Return. If a date is entered in Screen 4, that date will be used as the signature date even when using the Computer Date as the Signature date to prevent this diagnostic from generating. (ref. #8982)
How to resolve critical diagnostic Ref. 8982:
First, try setting the global computer date option:
- Select Settings, then Options.
- Select the Tax Return tab.
- Under the Tax Returns Options section, find the Computer Date as PIN Signature Date field and change it to Yes.
If that doesn't work, try setting the computer date on a specific client:
- In Details, go to Screen 4, Electronic Filing.
- Locate the Paperless Filing Signature section.
- Select the checkbox labeled Computer date as PIN signature date [O], or enter the date in the Taxpayer's signature date field.