This article will help resolve the following e-file diagnostics:
- e-file: Form 2441 is not required when the dependent care expenses are zero. To e-file this return, you need to override the dependent care credit by entering a -1 in General Information section, Form 2441 [Override] and re-process e-file only. Dependent care benefits reported on Form W-2 will still be added to wages. (ref. #726)
- Informational: Dependent care benefits exist in Dependents. No corresponding "Dependent care expense" entries have been made on Dependent Care Credits. (ref. #4691)
Follow these steps to resolve diagnostic ref. 726:
- From the Input Return tab, go to Credits ⮕ Dependent Care Credit (2441) ⮕ Children, Dependents.
- Click on the General information section in the top right corner.
- Add or remove any unnecessary or necessary information. If the 2441 is meant to show as is, then it is not necessary to e-file and the inputs can be removed.
Informational diagnostic ref. 4691
This second informational diagnostic will remain and might be ignored. It won't prevent e-filing of the return. The message is present as a reminder, in case the missing information was unintentional.