This article will help resolve the following e-file diagnostics:
- e-file: Form 2441 is not required when the dependent care expenses are zero. To e-file this return, you need to override the dependent care credit by entering a -1 in Screen 33.1, General Information section, Form 2441 [O] and re-process e-file only. Dependent care benefits reported on Form W-2 will still be added to wages. (ref. #726)
- Informational: Dependent care benefits exist in Screen 10. No corresponding "Dependent care expense" entries have been made on Screen 33. (ref. #4691)
Follow these steps to resolve diagnostic ref. 726:
- Go to Screen 33, Dependent Care Credit (2441).
- Locate the Child and Dependent Care Expenses (2441) > General information section.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and enter -1 in the field Form 2441 [O].
Informational diagnostic ref. 4691
This second informational diagnostic will remain and might be ignored. It won't prevent e-filing of the return. The message is present as a reminder, in case the missing information was unintentional.