This article will help to resolve the following critical diagnostic:
- Qualifying-dependent #X: A child who turns 13 during the year is a qualifying person for the part of the year he or she was under age 13. A dependent must be under age 13 to qualify for the dependent care credit. (ref. #6676)
Lacerte generates this diagnostic when a dependent is 13 years old and entered on Screen 33, Dependent Care Credit (2441). The diagnostic won't go away but it won't prevent the return from e-filing. Lacerte doesn't pro-rate the amount entered on Screen 33.1 and Screen 33.2.
Follow these steps to resolve the diagnostic:
- Manually figure the expenses for the child during the qualified time frame:
- Divide the entire year's amount paid by 12.
- Multiply that amount by the number of months the child was 12 years old.
- Go to Screen 33, Dependent Care Credit (2441).
- Select Child and Dependent Care Expenses (2441) from the lower left section menu.
- Select the Dependent or select Add from the mid-left panel.
- Enter the amount calculated in Qualified dependent care expense incurred and paid in 20XX (MANDATORY).
- Select Persons or Organizations Providing Dependent Care from the top-left menu (this will take you to Screen 33.2).
- Select the Provider or Add from the mid-left menu panel.
- Enter the Total amount paid to the care provider in 20XX for all dependents.