Below are instructions for generating Form 8936 in the Individual module of Intuit ProConnect for two-, three-, and four-wheeled plug-in electric vehicles. Refer to the IRS instructions for Form 8936 to find out what's considered a qualified plug-in electric vehicle.
It is important to note that if the information is for a passthrough or business activity, you need to indicate this in the program. See the additional set of instructions at the bottom of the page to find out how to do this.
This article is written for those working on returns in the Individual module. To generate this form on a business return:
- Partnership: On the Other Credits screen, under the Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit section.
- S-corporation: On the Credits (Sch K) screen, under the Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit section.
- Corporate: On the General Business Credits screen, under the Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit section.
Follow these steps to generate Form 8936 in the program:
- Go to the Input Return tab.
- From the left of the screen, select Credits and choose General Business and Vehicle Cr.
- From the top of the screen, select Vehicle.
- Scroll down to the Vehicle Credits (8910, 8936) section.
- Enter a 2 in 1=alternative motor vehicle (8910), 2=plug-in electric drive motor vehicle (8936) .
- Complete the following fields in the Vehicle Information subsection:
- Date placed in service
- Vehicle identification number (VIN)
- Year (e.g. 2016)
- Under the Form 8936 subsection, enter information in the applicable fields for your vehicle:
- For the Two-Wheeled plug-in electric vehicle subsection, enter the Cost of two-wheeled vehicle.
- For the At least Four-Wheeled plug-in electric vehicle subsection, enter the Kilowatt hour capacity (x.xxx) and Tentative credit [O].
For qualified four-wheeled plug-in electric vehicles, the manufacturer may have provided the tentative credit. If this is the case, you only need to enter the Tentative credit [Override] field and should leave the Kilowwatt hour capacity (x.xxx) field blank.