Below are instructions for generating Form 8936 in the Individual module of Intuit Lacerte for two-, three-, and four-wheeled plug-in electric vehicles. Refer to the IRS instructions for Form 8936 to find out what's considered a qualified plug-in electric vehicle.
It is important to note that if the information is for a passthrough or business activity, you need to indicate this in the program. See the additional set of instructions at the bottom of the page to find out how to do this.
This article is written for those working on returns in the Individual module. To generate this form on a business return:
- Partnership: On Screen 20.2 Other Credits, under the Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit section.
- S-corporation: On Screen 26.2 Credits (Sch K), under the Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit section.
- Corporate: On Screen 28.1 General Business Credits, under the Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit section.
Follow these steps to generate Form 8936 in the program:
- Go to Screen 34, General Business and Vehicle Credits.
- Scroll down to the Vehicle Credits (8910, 8936) section.
- Enter a 2 in Vehicle credit type: 1=alternative motor (8910), 2=plug-in electric drive motor vehicle (8936).
- Complete the following fields in the Vehicle Information subsection:
- Date placed in service (code 135)
- Vehicle identification number (VIN) (code 815)
- Year (e.g. 2016) (code 137)
- Make (code 138)
- Model (code 139)
- Under the Form 8936 subsection, enter information in the applicable fields for your vehicle:
- For the Two-Wheeled plug-in electric vehicle subsection, enter the Cost of two-wheeled vehicle (code 234).
- For the At least Four-Wheeled plug-in electric vehicle subsection, enter the Kilowatt hour capacity (x.xxx) (code 507) and Tentative credit [O] (code 140).
For qualified four-wheeled plug-in electric vehicles, the manufacturer may have provided the tentative credit. If this is the case, you only need to enter the Tentative credit [O] field and should leave the Kilowwatt hour capacity (x.xxx) field blank.