For taxable years, beginning after December 31, 2017 and before January 1, 2026 the deduction for moving expenses and the exclusion for qualified moving expense reimbursement is suspended, except for members of the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty, who move under a military order and incident to a permanent change of station.
To generate Form 3903:
- Go to Screen 27, Moving Expenses (3903).
- Select whether the Form 3903 applies to the Taxpayer, Spouse, or Joint.
- If applicable, select the box for Armed forces move due to permanent change of station.
- Enter the Miles from old home to new work place (code 2) and the Miles from old home to old work place (code 3).
- Lacerte uses these amounts to perform the distance test for Form 3903. To meet the distance test, the taxpayer's new principal work place must be at least 50 miles farther from the old home than the taxpayer's old work place.
- Enter the actual cost of moving and storing household goods and personal effects in Transportation and Storage of Goods (code 4). Include amounts reimbursed to the taxpayer if they aren't included on Form W-2 as wages. This amount prints on Form 3903, line 1.
- If the taxpayer is claiming only storage costs for a move outside the US in an earlier year and the amount paid by the US employer is included in Form W-2, box 1, leave this field blank and enter the storage fees paid by the taxpayer in Storage Fees (during absence from US only) (Screen 27, code 13).
- Enter any lodging and travel expenses excluding meals.