If the client filed their Form 1040 using a Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) status, the individual listed as the taxpayer in a Federal 1040 will be assigned as the primary on the Form 114. In order to create a Form 114 for the spouse, you’ll need to create a new data file.
Follow these steps to create a Form 114 report for the spouse:
- From the File menu, select New Client.
- Under the Forms In Use section of the Forms Bar, select Form 1040: Individual Income Tax Return.
- Under the Part I - Personal Information section of the Federal Information Worksheet, complete the Taxpayer subsection using the spouse's information.
- Only this individual's basic information is required.
- Scroll down to Part VI - Electronic Filing of Tax Return Information.
- Mark the File Form 114 Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) electronically checkbox.
- Fill out the Foreign Bank Accounts Information worksheet for the spouse.
- Refer to this resource to learn how to create Form 114 in your program.
- Click Save.
- You may then proceed with electronically filing the Form 114 for only the spouse.