Starting in tax year 2020 the Schedule D itself will be populated from a new Form 1099-B worksheet. This worksheet is for any transaction other then home sales that would typically be entered on a Schedule D. The QuickZoom to the 1099-B worksheet can be found at the top of Schedule D.
In most cases cryptocurrency or virtual currency is reported on the tax return in the same manner as property such as stock or other capital gains or losses. See Frequently Asked Questions on Virtual Currency Transactions for the IRS guidelines. If you are reporting virtual currency transactions in the 1040 return, be sure to mark the Yes box on the "At any time during 2021, did you receive, sell, exchange, or otherwise dispose of any financial interest in any virtual currency" question.
- For details on how to enter stock and other capital gains for the Schedule D and Form 8949 see: Methods for entering stock transactions for the Schedule D
- Entering Sale of Capital Assets in tax year 2019 and prior
- How do I attach a stock summary to the Schedule D and Form 8949?
- Entering multiple codes on Form 8949, Column F
- Entering a partial wash sale in ProSeries
- Entering a home sale exclusion in ProSeries