Get answers to frequently asked questions about entering individual social security benefits in Intuit ProConnect.
Follow these steps to enter Form SSA-1099 in ProConnect:
- Go to the Input Return tab.
- From the left of the screen, select Income and choose SS Benefits, Alimony, Misc. Income.
- Under the Social Security Benefits section, enter the amount from box 5 in Social security benefits (SSA-1099, box 5).
- Box 5 equals box 3 less box 4.
- This amount flows to Form 1040, line 6a.
- Enter any Medicare premiums paid (SSA-1099).
- This amount flows to Schedule A, line 1.
- Enter the Voluntary federal income tax withheld (SSA-1099, box 6 / RRB-1099, box 10) if applicable.
- In 2019 and prior, scroll down to the Tax Withheld section and enter the box 6 amount in Federal income tax withheld [Adjust].
If you want to override the taxable social security amount that ProConnect calculates on Form 1040, line 20b, enter an amount (-1 = none) in Taxable social security & railroad retirement [Override] (code 4).