This article will help to understand how to apply the overpayment generated by an amended individual Form 1040X on Line 22.
Follow these steps:
- Go to Screen 59, Amended Return (1040-X).
- Scroll down to the Miscellaneous Information section.
- Select the box Apply 1040-X overpayment to 20YY estimated tax.
- Scroll down to the Federal Income Tax Return section.
- Enter the amount to be applied in Overpayment applied to 20YY estimated tax (75).
- If the amount doesn't appear on the 1040X, continue to the next step.
- Go to Screen 7.1, 20YY Estimates (1040-ES).
- Enter the same amount in Apply overpayment to 20YY (Ctrl+T or dollar amount) under General Information.
- Remove any entry on Estimate options (Ctrl+T), [code 14].
Per Form 1040X Instructions, Page 10:
If you elected to apply any part of an overpayment on your original return to your next year's estimated tax, you cannot reverse that election on your amended return.