Before you start:
- In most cases the Married Filing Separate filing status will impact the ability to claim the credit. See Instructions for Form 8839 for full details.
- If the modified AGI is greater then the phase out limit on the 8839 line 8 the credit will not generate.
Follow these steps to generate Form 8839:
- Go to Screen 37, Adoption Credit (8839).
- Enter the adopted child's personal information under the Eligible Children section:
- First and last name
- ID number (SSN, ATIN, or ITIN)
- Date of birth
- Select any of the applicable boxes under the Eligible Children section.
- Enter the expenses in the appropriate fields under the Qualified Adoption Expenses Paid in subsection.
- Enter any Prior Year Information, if applicable.