This article will assist you with entering a vehicle credit for Form 8936 for a vehicle that isn't two- or three-wheeled—and with $7,500 as the maximum credit amount—in the Individual module of Lacerte.
Refer to the IRS Instructions for Form 8936 for more information about this credit.
Follow these steps to generate the 8936 credit for a vehicle that isn't two or three-wheeled:
- Go to Screen 34, General Business and Vehicle Credits.
- Scroll down to the Vehicle Credits (8910, 8936) section.
- Enter a 2 in the 1=alternative motor vehicle (8910), 2=plug-in electric drive motor vehicle (8936) (code 233) field.
- Note: In 2012 this field reads: Vehicle credit type: 1=alternative motor (8910), 2=plug-in electric acquired before 2012 (8834), 3=plug-in electric drive motor (8936) (code 233).
- Under the Vehicle Information section, enter the following fields (these fields are overrides for the Form 8910, but they're required for the Form 8936):
- Date placed in service
- Vehicle identification number (VIN)
- Scroll down to the Business or Investment Use Percentage subsection and enter the following fields, if the vehicle was used for business:
- Total mileage
- Business mileage
- Scroll down to the At least Four-Wheeled plug-in electric vehicle.
- Enter the Kilowatt hour capacity (x.xxx).
- Enter the amount of maximum credit available for this vehicle from the manufacturer's certificate in the Tentative credit [O] (code 140) field.
- The $7,500 credit amount will automatically populate on Form 8936, lines 4, 15, and 18 without an entry in the Tentative credit [O] (code 140) field. However, if the credit available on the manufacturer's certificate is greater than $7,500, then the override must be used.
- Go to the Forms tab.
- Make sure that Form 8936 is generating and that any credit amount allowed on line 14 flows to the Form 3800.