Individual Form 5695, Residential Energy Credits won't generate if the credit amount has been overridden, or if you've claimed $500 or more nonbusiness energy property credits on prior tax returns.
Follow these steps to remove the override
- Go to the Input Return tab.
- Select Credits from the left menu.
- Select Recovery Rebate, EIC, Residential Energy, Oth Credits.
- Go to the Home tab
- In the Property section, remove any entry in Residential energy efficient property credit (Form 5695) [Override].
- Scroll to the section Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit (5695).
- Remove any entry in Nonbusiness energy credit (Form 5695) [Override].
If you've previously claimed nonbusiness energy property credits
These credits are subject to a lifetime limitation. Generally, you can't claim the credit if you have previously claimed $500 or more of the credit since 2006. For more information, refer to Form 5695 instructions.