When returns still show as Sent to Intuit or In Agency after a few days, you will need to connect to the Lacerte servers to get the latest e-file status and confirm whether your submission was accepted or rejected. This process may seem automatic during the busiest parts of your tax season, since each time you e-file another return, Lacerte retrieves acknowledgements for those you've previously filed.
Before you start:
- Federal returns are typically processed in 1 to 3 days.
- State returns are typically processed in 2 to 5 days.
- Most states are closed on weekends and federal holidays for acknowledgment processing.
- If you're unable to update the status on the return after performing the steps below, you can check the status online. See here for more information.
Follow these steps to retrieve acknowledgements:
- Click on the Clients tab.
- Highlight the clients that need updating.
- Click on the E-file menu at the top of your program.
- Select Step 3: e-File Acknowledgement Statuses.
- Click on Receive Acknowledgement Statuses.
This method will connect to Lacerte's servers and retrieve acknowledgements for all returns e-filed by your computer in all modules. If a return's status doesn't update using these steps, try the method below.
Can I stop a return that has already been sent?
No, once a return has been transmitted from your program, the return can not be stopped by Intuit.
What if I need to make changes to a return that after e-filing it?
Once the return acknowledgement has been received, one of two things can be done. If the return is rejected, you will be able to make changes to it before e-filing again. If the return is accepted, you will need to file an amended return.