The IRS Modernized E-File (MeF)system allows returns for three tax years, the current year and the two consecutive prior tax years, to be filed electronically. Most states also follow these rules. Currently this means you can e-file from ProSeries 2021, 2020 and 2019. There are a few steps to do in the prior year ProSeries to make sure your e-file is successful:
Refresh your license information:
If you haven't been in ProSeries for a while your license information may not show the current renewal. If you haven't renewed for the current tax year you will not be able to e-file from the prior year programs. This would generate FastPath errors when you try to e-file. To prevent these errors:
- From the Tools menu, select License Products.
- Select OK.
- Select Close.
Check for updates:
Sometimes there are updates that are released for the prior years. These updates need to be installed to prevent errors such as "The version of ProSeires you are using is no longer current". To prevent these errors:
- From the Update menu, select Update Installed Products.
- ProSeries will check for updates.
- If it says No Updates Found, your good to go!
- If it finds updates let the updates download and select Install Now when prompted.
Make sure the signature date is correct:
- Open the tax return to the Information Worksheet.
- In the electronic filing section, for Date Pin Entered, make sure the date is a current calendar year date. Entering a prior year date will cause the return to be rejected by the IRS and state taxing authorities.
- Run Final Review and correct any other errors.
- E-file the return.