Before you start:
- To e-file any return in ProSeries, you'll need an approved Electronic Filing Identification Number (EFIN) from the IRS.
- See How do I obtain an EFIN from the IRS?
- If you don't have an EFIN this process can take up to 45 days.
- To e-file any return in ProSeries your EFIN must be registered with Intuit.
- See Register your EFIN with Intuit before e-filing.
- The registration process takes about two business days.
- E-file is available for three tax years. Currently, you can e-file from ProSeries 2021, 2020 and 2019.
Preparing and e-filing the tax return:
- Open the return to the Federal Information Worksheet.
- Scroll down to the Electronic Filing of Tax Return Information section.
- For individual returns, this is Part VI.
- Check the box to File federal return electronically.
- If you need to e-file any state returns, check the File state or city returns electronically box as well.
- Complete the tax return as normal.
- If the taxpayer wants direct deposit or electronic funds withdrawal, check to make sure that is entered on the Information Worksheet.
- Run Final Review on both the federal and state return to correct any errors that say You must fix this error.
- You must fix this error will prevent the return from being e-filed.
- Have the taxpayer sign any required signature documents, such as the 8879 or 8878.
- Once you're ready to e-file go to the E-File menu and select Transmit Returns/Extensions/Payments.
- Check the federal and/or state returns you need to e-file today and select OK.
- Review the Electronic Filing Transmission warning. Once you have read the warning, select Yes to continue.
- ProSeries will now convert the return into the IRS readable format and transmit the converted data to the IRS.
- Review the electronic filing log to make sure the conversion and transmission were successful. If you received the green thumbs-up, you have successfully e-filed the return.
Once you transmit the return, it's forwarded through the Intuit Electronic Filing Center to the IRS and/or agency. Once the agency accepts or rejects the return, the acknowledgements will be available for pickup in ProSeries.
- Federal return acknowledgements are usually available within one to three days.
- State return acknowledgements are usually available within two to five business days.
- BSA acknowledgments (for Form 114) are usually available within two to five business days.
How to check for acknowledgements in ProSeries:
From the E-File menu, select Electronic Filing, then Receive Acknowledgement Statuses.
For more details on acknowledgements, see Checking the acknowledgment status of an e-filed return.