Below, you'll find answers to frequently asked questions about e-filing from the Benefit Plan module of Lacerte:
Setting up and e-filing the benefit plan:
- On Screen 1 Client Information check the Electronic Returns set for E-Filing box.
- Complete the return.
- Review the Diagnostics for any Critical Diagnostic Warnings that start with e-file. These will prevent you form e-filing the forms.
- The plan administrator must electronically sign the benefit plan return. For instructions on collecting the signature see How to sign form 5500 through EFAST2.
- Once the Signature Status column changes to Complete you can e-file the return.
- From the E-File menu, select Step 2: Start e-file Return Wizard...
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the electronic filing.
Can I e-file extensions for the benefit plan?
Extensions for the 5500 are unable to be e-filed through Lacerte. See Common questions about Form 5500 extensions for help generating and filing the extensions.