This article will help you bring over your client files, settings, and options when you get a new standalone computer—or install and configure a new computer on your existing network.
Before you start:
- This article references default installation paths and uses YY to reference the tax year in 20YY format. C: will always indicate the local drive and X: will always indicate the network drive.
Installing Lacerte on a new computer in a networked environment
Follow these steps to install Lacerte on a new computer in a networked environment:
- Go to the computer that needs Lacerte installed.
- Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run application.
- Type the Shared file path for your network to start the installation.
- The default path is X:\Lacerte\21Tax\setup21\taxsetup.exe.
- If you're unsure of the path, go to another computer that already has Lacerte installed and press F10 while in the program. On the System Information tab, look for the System file path.
- Press Enter to run taxsetup.exe from the specified path.
- Click Next to accept the default local path.
- Click Install to begin the installation.
Installing Lacerte on a new standalone computer
When you purchase a new computer, you'll need to back up your Lacerte data from your old computer, install the program on your new computer, then restore your data.
Step 1 - Back up your Lacerte client files, settings, and options
Use the articles below to back up client files, settings, and options:
Next, use the steps below to install Lacerte on your new computer.
Step 2 - Install Lacerte on your new computer
To install Lacerte on your new computer, you'll need to download the prep files and the program using the articles below:
- Download your prep files: How to download and install Lacerte prep files
- Download the program: How to download and install Lacerte
- If you need to install prior year programs, too: How to download and install prior-year Lacerte
Step 3 - Restore your clients and options
Use the articles below to restore your clients and options on the new computer:
- Restoring Clients in the Lacerte Tax Program
- Backup Lacerte program settings and options
- Use the second set of instructions on this article to restore your settings from a backup.