One of the following e-file critical diagnostics is generating in the Individual return:
- An amount on the "Penalty for underpayment of estimated tax" line on the Taxpayer Form NYC-202 requires Form NYC-221 be attached as PDF. (ref. #37838)
- An amount on the "Penalty for underpayment of estimated tax" line of Spouse Form NYC-202 requires Form NYC-221 be attached as PDF. (ref. #37840)
Why are these diagnostics generating?
These diagnostics generate when there's an amount on the "Penalty for underpayment of estimated tax" line of Form NYC-202.
If you're receiving both diagnostics (one for Taxpayer and one for Spouse), Form NYC-221 TP and NYC-221 SP will need to be printed to PDF and attached under e-file Miscellaneous as two separate PDF attachments.
Follow these steps to print Form NYC-221 to PDF:
- Go to File Return.
- Select Partial Print to PDF.
- Select Form NYC-221.
- Save the PDF to computer.
- Repeat for the second Form NYC-221, if applicable.
- Proceed with the next set of instructions below.
Follow these steps to attach the PDF(s) in the program:
- Go to Input Return ⮕ General ⮕ Electronic Filing.
- Click on e-file PDF/Miscellaneous.
- Click e-file Attachment in the top-right.
- Select the Attach PDF button.
- Locate and select on the PDF to attach.
- Locate the New York City UBT Information subsection.
- Check the applicable box:
- Taxpayer PDF attachment with New York City UBT Return
- Spouse PDF attachment with New York City UBT Return
- Select Form NYC-221 from the Line number and form for PDF attachment dropdown menu.
- Repeat steps 1-8 to attach a second PDF for the taxpayer or spouse, if applicable.