This article will help resolve the following e-file critical diagnostic:
- California Electronic Payment: A phone number is required and valid "Daytime Telephone #" must be selected when paying electronically. (ref. #35131)
This e-file critical diagnostic is for the electronic payment of California estimated taxes, and will generate when:
- Electronic payment of estimated tax is selected under Miscellaneous Information/Direct Deposit in the section California Direct Deposit of Refund/Electronic Payment.
- When the box for Requires electronic payments is selected in the California Miscellaneous section of the same input screen.
Make sure the phone number is entered:
- Go to Input Return ⮕ General ⮕ Client Information.
- Scroll to the Taxpayer Contact Information section.
- the diagnostic only looks at the taxpayer section, not the spouse.
- In the Daytime Telephone # input field, use the dropdown menu and select either Home, Work or Mobile.
- Input the phone number in the input field that corresponds to the telephone number type selected.
- The diagnostic should no longer generate
Make sure the phone number is not overridden:
- Go to Input Return ⮕ General ⮕ Misc. Info./Direct Deposit
- Select the Miscellaneous tab.
- Make sure the field labeled Daytime phone: 1=print, 2=print (suppress when optional), 3=suppress [O] doesn't contain a 2 or 3.