This is a critical informational diagnostic that won't impact the ability to e-file.
This article will help resolve the following diagnostic that generates when Form 990, Part IV, Line 31 is marked yes:
- Attach certified copies of articles of dissolution or merger, resolutions, or plans of liquidation or merger, as well as any other documentation relevant to Schedule N. (ref. #12191)
This diagnostic is generated as a reminder to include information with the filing of the return, and is based on the these Schedule N instructions (page 4):
- An organization must support any claim to have liquidated, terminated, dissolved, or merged by attaching a certified copy of its articles of dissolution or merger. If a certified copy of its articles of dissolution or merger isn't available, the organization may submit resolutions of its governing board approving dissolution or merger, and/or plans of liquidation or merger approved by its governing board. An organization filing Schedule N shouldn't report its liquidation, termination, or dissolution in a letter to IRS Exempt Organizations, Determinations (EO Determinations). EO Determinations no longer issues letters confirming that the organization?s tax-exempt status was terminated upon its liquidation, termination, or dissolution.
Follow these steps to include the e-filed return by attaching a PDF to Form 990:
- Go to the Input Return tab.
- On the left-side menu, select General, then select Electronic Filing.
- Click on the e-file PDF/Miscellaneous screen.
- Select the e-file Attachment hyperlink at the top right.
- Click on the Attach PDF button.
- Locate the PDF on your computer in the window that appears.
- Click Open.
- Edit the Description of file (if desired).
- IIn the Link to form (defaults to main form) field, select 990/EZ/PF.
- Scroll down to the Send PDF attachment with federal return subsection.
- Select Yes to send the PDF with the federal return.
Attaching a PDF to the main form won't remove this diagnostic. The diagnostic will remain as long as Form 990, Part IV, Line 31 is marked yes.