In rare cases the Setup program hangs or freezes when downloading Lacerte from Web Downloads or when downloading Lacerte Updates from within the program.
Before you start:
- This article references default installation paths and uses YY to reference the tax year in 20YY format. C: will always indicate the local drive and X: will always indicate the network drive.
On occasion it appears to freeze, but is actually downloading your update. Here is a simple test to see if that is the case.
- Press CTRL+Shift+Esc at the same time to bring up the Windows Task Manager. (all three of these buttons can be found on the left side of the keyboard)
- In the Windows Task Manager select the Performance tab.Your CPU Usage percentage is what we will be using for this test.
- Click the Options menu and check Always on Top.
- Click on your Start button and select All Programs.
- Find your Lacerte folder in your list.
- Once located enter the Lacerte folder and find 20YY Lacerte Web Setup.
- Folow the prompts on screen and continue to hit next until we get to install. At this point make sure you can still see your Task Manager.
- Click the Install button in the loader to begin the installation.
- In the event that the installation freezes during websetup, it will typically happen during the "checking file integrity" portion of setup. If it does, follow the steps provided below to clear the Temp folder.
- Watch your CPU Usage, more than likely it will hit 100% and stay there. If it does give it about 5-6 minutes and see if the progress bar changes at any point. If it does then your system is downloading it just doesn't have enough resources to show you. Let the download continue and finish.
- If it doesn't download and it continues to stall without showing progress in 5-6 minutes then cancel the setup and follow through with the rest of the article.
If you are encountering this issue, first try the steps below:
- Close all programs and reboot your computer.
- After rebooting, do not attempt to open Lacerte. Instead download the program again using the Web Setup utility or from Web Downloads.
- Web Setup: To download the program using Web Setup go to Start, All Programs, Lacerte, choose Lacerte Web Setup for the program you are wanting to update.
- Web Downloads: To download the program from Web Downloads, see here and then select the program you want to update.
If problems continues, complete the steps in the sections below. Retry the download after each series of steps.