Use Form 3539, Payment for Automatic Extension for Corporations and Exempt Organizations to make a payment with an extension.
For Corporate and S Corporate returns:
- From the Input Return tab, go to Payments, Penalties & Extensions ⮕ Extension of Time to File.
- Enter a 1 in 1=automatic extension, 2=blank (MANDATORY).
- There must be an amount due calculated on the return or you can enter an override for the amount due by going to the State & Local tab on this screen and enter a non-zero amount in Tentative tax (-1=none) [Override].
For an Exempt Organizations:
- From the Input Return tab, go to Payments, Penalties & Extensions ⮕ Extensions.
- Scroll down to the California Extension Voucher (3539) section.
- Make an entry in 1=Form 199, 2=Form 109, 3=both to indicate which form(s) to trigger the Form 3539.
- For form 199 make an entry in Amount due.
- For form 109 make an entry in Tentative tax (-1=none)[Override] to override the calculation of the tentative income tax, for extension purposes only. Enter -1 if the tentative tax is zero. The program reduces the amount by the entry in 2022 Estimated tax payments [Override] and prints the result on Form 3539, on the amount of payment line.