Before you start:
- Calculate all client files in your original program.
- Remove any locks.
- Remove any passwords.
Table of contents:
|‣ What types of returns can I submit for data conversion?|
|‣ How do I backup my data for conversion?|
|‣ How do I verify my backup is correct?|
|‣ What items will be converted?|
What types of returns can I submit for data conversion?
- Individual (1040)
- Partnership (1065)
- Corporation (1120)
- S-Corporation (1120S)
How do I backup my data for conversion?
- Create a new folder on your C: drive named ConversionData before you begin the backup process (for example, C:\ConversionData).
- By default, TurboTax saves tax files in the My Documents, TurboTax folder.
- Go to this folder and copy all client files you wish to convert.
- Browse to the C:\ConversionDatafolder, right-click and choose Paste.
If you can't find your files in My Documents:
- Select the Start menu button.
- In the search box, enter .tax2021.
- As you type, matching files will appear in the Search pane.
- Make a note of the file's location or path and go to that folder.
- After locating the files in the correct folder, copy all the files you wish to convert.
- Paste all the files in C:\ConversionData.
How do I verify my backup is correct?
- Open C:\ConversionData to view the files that have been backed up.
- Valid TurboTax files will appear with the client name and ending with .tax2021.
What items will be converted?
The main purpose of this conversion is to get your data ready for the following tax year. So viewing a Form 1040 won't display the same results that had been filed. The conversion is very limited and includes only the basic information in the following PDF documents: