Before you start:
- Individual tax returns from TurboTax desktop or TurboTax for Mac can be directly transferred to ProSeries Professional or ProSeries Basic for the same tax year.
- Returns prepared in TurboTax for Business: Corporate, S Corporate, and Partnership (Forms 1065, 1120, and 1120S) can be transferred to corresponding ProSeries Business returns for the next year. For example, a 2019 TurboTax for Business Corporation can be transferred to a 2020 ProSeries Corporation.
- TurboTax Online files can't be transferred directly into ProSeries. They must be saved to the desktop first with a .tax20YY extension. For example .tax2019 for a 2019 TurboTax Online file. For steps to save a TurboTax Online data file to the desktop, see here before continuing.
- You can’t transfer from ProSeries to TurboTax.
- File names will look a little different after transferring from TurboTax to ProSeries. For example, if the file was "John and Jane Doe Tax Return.tax20YY" it'll transfer to ProSeries as "John and Jane Doe Tax Return.YYp" The difference is that ProSeries adds a character to the file extension to show the type of return. If the TurboTax file name contains a symbol, such as / , it can interfere with the transfer.
- Remove any password protection on the TurboTax file you're transferring. See here for instructions.
- This article references default installation paths and uses YY to reference the tax year in 20YY format. C: will always indicate the local drive and X: will always indicate the network drive.