Entering charitable contributions depends on the type of contribution:
- For cash contributions see the Cash Contributions Smart Worksheet on Schedule A, below line 10.
- For noncash contributions see the Noncash Contributions Smart Worksheet on Schedule A, below line 11.
- For Cash and Noncash Contributions passed through from a Partnership Schedule K-1, see the Schedule K-1 Partner Worksheet, Line 13 Code A, B, C, D, E, F, or G.
- For cash and noncash Contributions passed through from an S corporation Schedule K-1, see the Schedule K-1 SCorp Worksheet, Line 12 Code A, B, C, D, E, F, or G.
How do I enter contributions for clients taking the standard deduction?
For tax year 2020 returns, filers taking the standard deduction can claim an adjustment to income of up to $300 (or $150 if Married Filing Separately, $600 if Married Filing Jointly). The adjustment is reported on Form 1040, line 10b.
To generate this deduction:
- Open the Schedule A.
- Scroll down to the Cash Contributions Smart Worksheet above line 11 and enter the charitable contributions.
- Open the 1040/1040SR Wks.
- Scroll down to the section for Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR, Lines 8-11.
- Review the transferred amount on line 10a and adjust the amount as needed.
- On line 10b enter the amount you want to take in addition to the standard deduction.