As part of our continuing commitment to work with the IRS, states, and industry to combat tax fraud, Intuit requires all tax professional customers to have IRS documentation of EFIN registration on file before e-filing through Intuit's professional tax products. We'll also ask for EFIN documentation when you make changes to your firm name or business address.
This article will help you:
- Understand if you need to register your EFIN before e-filing returns
- Learn how to register your EFIN with Intuit
- Change your Firm Name or Address
Intuit EFIN Registration video
You can check the status of your EFIN at any time:
- Sign in to My Account.
- From the left-side menu, select e-File center ⮕ Manage EFIN.
- Your status will show beneath EFIN Registration.
If your status is Not Enrolled or Not Approved, you need to provide EFIN registration.
Do I need to provide EFIN registration?
Protecting your EFIN account and your taxpayer data is as important to us as it is to you. As such, we require that all Electronic Return Originators (EROs) provide registration of their EFIN before you're approved to start e-filing. It's an important first step in preventing tax-related identity theft and fraud.
If any of the following conditions apply to you, you need to register your EFIN before e-filing returns:
- You're new to e-filing with Intuit and haven't previously submitted registration.
- Your firm name or business address changed. The IRS requires that your firm name and business address match your IRS EFIN Application Summary.
- You're notified by email.
- You're notified by an e-file reject message, such as "853 Oops! The EFIN has not been registered to your Account!" or "854 Attention! Your EFIN privileges have been temporarily disabled by Intuit."
You don't need to register your EFIN if:
- You don't intend to e-file returns.
- You've previously submitted the Application Summary, you are currently able to e-file successfully, and your EFIN Application DBA name and physical address are current.
Follow these steps to register your EFIN with Intuit:
Follow the steps below if you 're using Lacerte or ProSeries. If you are using ProConnect refer to this article for instructions.
- Sign in to My Account.
- From the left menu, select e-File center ⮕ Manage EFIN.
- Under EFIN Registration, click on the down arrow to choose the reason that best matches your situation.
- Check the box for I have all the required documents and information to proceed to next step.
- Click Next.
- Enter your updated information in the form. This should match exactly with the IRS documentation.
- Choose the Document Type and click Browse.
- Select the EFIN Application Summary to be uploaded, then press OK.
- Check the I agree to the Terms and Conditions box.
- Click Submit.
If you don't know how to find your EFIN Application Summary, refer to this article for instructions on accessing it on the IRS e-Services website.