This article will help resolve the following e-file critical diagnostic:
- e-file: Invalid Setup: Form 114 for the Spouse had been selected for Electronic Filing but there is no Form 114 for the spouse in the return. Please double check your entries. (ref. #40376)
This diagnostic will generate if Screen 1, Client Information has a mark in the box for Federal Form 114 (Spouse) but there's no foreign account marked Spouse.
If the taxpayer and spouse jointly owned a foreign account, both spouses are required to file separate FBARs, and each spouse must report the entire value of the jointly owned accounts unless one of the exception conditions apply. Refer to Individual Form 114, Part III or Form 114 instructions for more information.
For each solution, make sure the Print Form 114 with complete return box is selected on Screen 82.1.
Solution #1: Marking the account as Spouse
- Go to Screen 82, Foreign Bank Account (114).
- Select Foreign Bank Account (114) from the top-left panel (this will take you to Screen 82.1).
- Select the Spouse's Account from the lower-left panel.
- Select the box Spouse.
Solution #2: Spouse doesn't have a foreign bank account
- Go to Screen 1, Client Information.
- Clear the box Federal Form 114 (Spouse) if it's selected.
Solution #3: Account is owned jointly and the 114 is not being amended
- Go to Screen 82.1, Foreign Bank Account (114).
- Delete any entries in Spouse Bank Security ACT ID (BSA ID).