COVID-19 resources for accountants and tax professionals
Navigate the road ahead for your clients and business with the most recent and relevant COVID-19 news.
Latest updates (as of 6/10/21)
IRS sending letters to 36+ million families who may qualify for monthly Child Tax Credit. Read more here
Texas and several other states such as parts of Tennessee get extended filing deadlines. See details including how to handle returns impacted by federally declared disaster zones here.
IRS guidance provides that amounts attributable to carryovers or an extended period for incurring claims on dependent care assistance programs for 2021 and 2022, are not taxable. Read more here
Tax credits available to small employers to provide paid leave to employees receiving COVID-19 vaccines. Read more here
State conformity to federal COVID-19-related tax provisions. Read more here
Unemployment compensation: If you have already filed Form 1040 or 1040-SR for 2020, you may not need to file an amended return (Form 1040-X) to figure the amount of unemployment compensation to exclude. Depending on your clients situation though, filing an amended return may still be a consideration. The IRS stated they will begin recalculating returns starting in May. Read more here
The IRS has announced that the federal income tax filing due date for individuals for the 2020 tax year will be automatically extended from April 15, 2021, to May 17, 2021. Read more here. Many state tax deadlines are also changing. Deadlines to make contributions to IRA’s and health savings accounts were also announced. See details here
Key resources for you and your clients
What they need to know
- What to know about stimulus checks
- See update on excess Advanced Premium Tax Credit (APTC) repayment requirement for 2020
- Understand the new exclusion for unemployment compensation in the American Rescue Act Plan of 2021
- Emergency aid granted to students due to COVID is not taxable. Learn more here
- Learn about the impact of COVID-19 on the foreign income and housing exclusions
Loans and cashflow
- Discover client business relief options with Intuit Aid Assist
- The Paycheck Protection Program
- Get details about the Restaurant Revitalization Program Fund (RRF) here
- Find out if your client is eligible to delay the employer portion of their Social Security payroll taxes
Taxes, payroll, security
- See guidance issued on tax relief on deductions for food or beverages from restaurants
- Data shows that small businesses are on a path to recovery after the challenges that COVID-19 presented. Get details here
- Advising clients on repaying deferred payroll taxes
- Cassidy Jakovickas, CPA, and Vanessa Vasquez share how to go beyond taxes to help clients
- Employee retention credits
- For businesses with fewer than 500 employees, help your clients get relief with provisions in the Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- Working from home may bring companies greater exposure to state tax codes. Learn more here
- Share security tips with clients moving from working in the office to working from home
Stay up to date with free virtual training
American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 — Key Measures & Insights
COVID-19 Relief — Key Measures & Insights
Ask the Advisor: Communicating with Clients through Crisis (No CPE) — On demand
Taking Your Practice Remote — On demand
Advise your clients with helpful, shareable documents
Simplify working remotely with helpful workflow tools
Collaborate with your firm employees and clients virtually with add-on productivity tools for your software.
Run your firm remotely with a centralized, real-time view of your work, clients and staff from one place.
Currently available for Lacerte and ProConnect Tax.
Request, track and collect signatures digitally from the convenience of your workspace.
Hosting for desktop
Take your software to the cloud and get improved flexibility, reduced IT hassle, and built-in security.
Request and collect client documents through a secure, free, online portal.
Offer clients the option to pay from their refund without any out-of-pocket costs.
Other information related to COVID-19
- AICPA coronavirus resource center
- “Keeping you informed and prepared amid the coronavirus outbreak” via Jounal of Accountancy