This article will help you license and update your prior year ProSeries so that you can e-file a prior year return.
Before you start:
- The IRS allows e-filing for the currently due tax year and two prior years. Most states follow the same rule.
- You must have an active Fast Path license for the current calendar year in order to e-file returns.
Follow these steps to e-file:
- Open the prior year version of ProSeries you're using to prepare the tax return.
- Select the Tools menu at the top of your program.
- Click on License Products.
- Verify Online is selected, then click OK.
- A screen with your information will appear. Verify it's correct, then press Yes, then OK, and Close.
- Go to the Update menu at the top of your program, and select Update installed products.
- Open the client file, and correct any errors that are present.
- Complete the e-file process as normal.