ProConnect Tax Online (PTO) is ready for the new year with:
- Key tax reform updates
- New features
- And a refreshed look and feel.
Weve been listening to your feedback and worked hard over the past many months to get the product ready for this upcoming tax season.
ProConnect Tax Online is cloud-based, and as such, some of the new features below were already released and ready for you to use during extension season. There are also a few new updates that will be coming soon as we expect to make additional releases over the coming months.
Features Available Now
This year, we invested in our underlying technology with the aim of helping us deliver value to customers faster. As a part of this effort, we have made improvements to the interface of ProConnect Tax Online to make the tax preparation process smarter, faster and simpler.
Key changes include:
- Refreshed color scheme for the main navigations.
- Focused Navigation, so instead of scrolling to find the forms you need, you can access each focused section using a tax topic menu.
- The ability to switch to a grid view in certain areas for faster data entry.
- Improved and more prominent search capabilities.
- Conditional inputs, so relevant data thats specific for your client and their return is visible.
For more information, see New ProConnect Tax Online User Interface Enhancements
Intuit Link has been updated and now includes the ability to manage documents. This functionality is embedded inside the client list in ProConnect Tax Online and includes the ability to:
- See, on a single screen, all documents including those uploaded by the firm and those provided by clients through the secure Link portal.
- Organize documents into folders.
- Assign document types (for example, W2, 1099, etc.).
- Download documents to desktop.
- Preview documents in your browser.
- Save client files shared through Link for later use.
- Help your clients plan for the future and create tax plans that compare tax implications across multiple years and scenarios.
- Accountants can create a plan which compares up to three cases across three years for a total of nine comparisons.
- These tax plans can also be printed out and shared with clients.
For more information, see Frequently Asked Questions - ProConnect Tax Online Tax Planner
ProConnect Tax Online is updated with all tax reform changes including updated tax calculations.
- Updated Forms and Tax Calculations: All tax calculations have been updated to reflect the new tax code.
- Updated Tax Reform Impact Summary: This feature was introduced for tax year 2017 and has been updated for tax year 2018. The summary sheet is printable and will be specific to each clients situation, so you can easily show them a comparison and explain the impact of the 2018 law changes that are relevant to them.
- 1040 Optimization: ProConnect Tax Online reflects the new postcard-sized return and six additional schedules. With the refreshed interface, the schedules are broken out into a separate screens.
More general information on tax reform can be found in the Tax Reform Resource Center
Weve made tremendous progress on updating Link this year to ensure its ready for season. Most Link capabilities are now available directly within the tax return.
Within the Link panel inside the tax return, you can now:
- View requests and status of requests.
- Request additional documents.
- Leave comments.
- Answer questions.
- Upload documents.
- Edit and add new items to client checklist.
For more information, see Important Link Updates for Tax Year 2018
Weve added 57 new e-file capabilities for returns, extensions, estimates and amended returns. Learn more.
The updated data conversion process is now more guided to help prevent the creation of duplicate clients. Now, when a data conversion process is started, the system will show clients that currently do not have an EIN or SSN. There will be an opportunity to fill this out to ensure new clients being converted do not have the same EIN or SSN.
For more information see ProConnect Tax Online Conversion Information
New Updates Coming Soon
Trial Balance Improvements
QuickBooks Online Accountant (QBOA) will have a refreshed trial balance experience. The experience will provide you with the ability do trial balance by viewing a balance sheet and profit & loss report. Anytime any changes need to be made, you can jump directly to that place in the books to make relevant adjustments.
Additional Data Conversion Improvements
The data conversion process is designed to improve its ability to automatically detect if there are duplicate clients being uploaded to the system.
For more information see Merge duplicates after converting data