Removing old empty folders will result in a noticeable performance increase and decrease the size of the DMS Database.
At the beginning of each new tax season we release a new version of DMS. When you first go into this new version of the program it will prompt users to add the new tax year folder to the folder template for the upcoming tax year. After adding new tax year folders repeatedly over the years clients will be left with a considerable amount of empty folders that will never be used. These empty folders increase the size of the DMS database by as much as 40%. This size increase affects the performance of DMS. It is recommended to only keep the current tax year folder and the two prior tax year folders in the folder template.
Before You Begin:
- Ensure you are DMS version 18.1.4.
- To check your version of DMS, go Help and click About DMS.
- If you on a version older than 18.1.4, go to Tools and click Internet Updates to update your program.
- Ensure you have a current backup of your DMS Database.
- Ensure all users out of DMS.
- It is recommended to run DMS locally from the computer where the DMS database resides. Note: Network users will run DMS on the server.
Note: The following steps will not result in data loss. DMS will never delete a folder where files reside.
If at any point you encounter any database errors when completing the steps in this article, exit the program and run the DMS Database Maintenance - How to run DMS DBRepair.