Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to record S corp basis limitation on 1040

Thx in advance
Level 2

I have a client with a S corp loss, but no basis.  When I enter the K-1 with the loss in the 1040, it populates the loss on Schedule E.  How do I show that there is no basis and get Schedule E to show zero.  Where does the carryover loss show in Proseries?

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You are supposed to only enter the amount allowed (in your case, $0) and manually carry over any amount to use in future years.  ProSeries is deficient it this regards, and does not  have a proper mechanism to limit losses due to Basis (or to carry over that unused amount).

View solution in original post

23 Comments 23
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You are supposed to only enter the amount allowed (in your case, $0) and manually carry over any amount to use in future years.  ProSeries is deficient it this regards, and does not  have a proper mechanism to limit losses due to Basis (or to carry over that unused amount).

ClintCPA
Level 3

TaxGuyBill: If you manually enter only the allowed loss on line 1, should modifications be made to the QBI amounts in Proseries? or any other lines on the K-1 worksheet?  Or is it recommended to only modify line 1 of the K-1 to limit the loss due to basis?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I don't think anything else needs to be changed.

ClintCPA
Level 3

TaxGuyBill,

I have a few additional questions.  Not sure if you are open to a paid phone consultation.  If so, I would welcome the opportunity to pick your brain more on this topic regarding ProSeries and Basis limitations.  

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I'm not big on phone calls, but you are welcome to post any questions here and I'll try to answer when I have time.

ClintCPA
Level 3

TaxGuyBill: Thank you for your help.  Just curious as to why you may feel that the QBI worksheet at the bottom of the K-1 on the 1040 may not need to be adjusted for basis limitations.  Would the limited losses not impact the QBI carryovers since the K-1 line 1 amount is part of the QBI calculation (for line 17V of the K-1)?  

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

After looking at things, I think you are right.  I originally didn't think the Basis limitation would affect QBI, but I think I was wrong.

This FAQ from the IRS isn't directly about this question, but it does provide insight on it (note the section I put in bold) that makes me think you are right, you do need to adjust QBI:

A34. The pass-through entity is required to provide the owners QBI information necessary for the owner to compute the deduction. If the entity only has ordinary income from a single trade or business, it may be appropriate to reflect one QBI amount. Some QBI items from a pass-through entity, such as section 1231 gain or loss, may need to be identified separately due to the potential of unique treatment on one or more owners' returns. Items not included in current year taxable income are not included in QBI. Therefore, additional details will also need to be provided for the owners. If for example, in addition to ordinary income the owner is allocated a section 179 deduction, since the 179 deduction may be limited, the detail would be required in order for the owner to properly determine the current year QBI. The instructions for pass-through entity filers include statements that pass-through entities can use when reporting items with respect to the QBID for tax years 2019 and forward.

Also note that the rules to separately state items from each activity for the application of the at-risk rules and passive activity loss limitation rules still apply even when a pass-through entity chooses to aggregate a trade or business for the purposes of section 199A.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-cuts-and-jobs-act-provision-11011-section-199a-qualified-business-i...

ClintCPA
Level 3

TaxGuyBill:

Thank you for the follow up.  I appreciate your time to review my questions and provide feedback.  It is very helpful!!

0 Cheers
ClintCPA
Level 3

TaxGuyBill:

A similar question.  If basis limitation disallows S-Corp charitable contributions for the year, I assume the K-1 would be adjusted to remove the current year charitable contributions that are disallowed also (i.e. just lower the charitable contribution amount to equal the amount allowed by basis).  

Does that make sense?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

That seems logical.   😁

However, what exactly was the charitable contribution?  Was it cash?

If it was non-cash, there are additional rules to consider in regards to the Basis that the corporation has in the donated property.

If that applies to the donations, I did a quick Google search and came up with this:

IRC section 1367(a)(2) flush language provides that S corporation shareholders will decrease basis in S corporation stock (or debt after stock basis is reduced to zero) by their pro rata share of the S corporation’s adjusted basis in the property contributed to charity. In Revenue Ruling 2008-16, the IRS clarified that the shareholder’s basis is not reduced by the appreciation of the contributed property. Thus, while the shareholder reduces his stock (and debt) basis by his ratable share of the basis in the contributed property (but not below zero), he will pass through his ratable share of the contributed property’s basis, limited to his basis in S corporation stock and debt, plus his ratable share of all the appreciation on the contributed property. In other words, the deduction is based on the fair market value of the charitable contribution.

The rule that limits the pass-through of the deduction to the stockholder’s basis in S corporation stock and debt does not apply to the appreciation of property contributed to charity by the S corporation. Even when the shareholder begins with zero basis in his S corporation stock (or debt), the appreciation of contributed property will pass through as a charitable contribution. In effect, the deduction is prorated to the portion limited by (and reducing) basis and to the appreciation.

https://www.cpajournal.com/2019/05/13/charitable-contributions-by-s-corporations/

0 Cheers
ClintCPA
Level 3

These are cash donations.  Thanks again for your help!!

0 Cheers
ClintCPA
Level 3

TaxGuyBill,

This ProSeries basis limitation issue is going to be the death of me!!!  I want to see if I can run a scenario by you.  Here it is:

S-Corp client has disallowed losses of $187.9k due to basis limitations from 2019. 

Beginning shareholder basis in 2020 is $0.  2020 K-1 has $90.1k in ordinary income on line 1, $15.3k in tax exempt income (increases basis), and shareholder had $40.6k in draws and $0.1k in non-deductible items.  Basis looks like $0 beginning + $90.1k income + $15.3k tax exempt income - $40.6k draws - $0.1k non-deductible =$64.7k in available basis for 2020 to apply towards prior year losses.

I am trying to determine what amount to enter on line 1 of the 1040 ProSeries K-1 and what amount (if any) would go on Sched E, P2 for a PYA.

I was thinking $0 on line 1 of the K-1 and no PYA, but I am not so sure this is correct when I go back to review it. 

Your thoughts are appreciated.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@ClintCPA wrote:

TaxGuyBill,

This ProSeries basis limitation issue is going to be the death of me!!!  I want to see if I can run a scenario by you.  Here it is:

S-Corp client has disallowed losses of $187.9k due to basis limitations from 2019. 

Beginning shareholder basis in 2020 is $0.  

2020 K-1 has $90.1k in ordinary income on line 1

$64.7k in available basis for 2020 to apply towards prior year losses.

Wouldn't it be $64.7 in basis to use the CURRENT year gain (Box 1)?  So you would enter $64.7 on the K-1 worksheet, and the excess would get added to the other $187.9 to get carried to next year, right?

See comments below.

0 Cheers
ClintCPA
Level 3

I think I follow the logic.  I enter the $64k on K-1 line 1. 

I would also then enter a PYA loss on Schedule E page 2, correct?  This zeroes out the income for the current year leaving $122k carried forward.

$187k prior year carryforward loss minus $64k income in 2020 = $122k carryforward to 2021.  

Let me know if this makes sense.  

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Hmmm, I think my original thought process was messed up (I may have been thinking thinking a loss in Box 1).   I shouldn't be answering questions when I'm tired.  🙂

It had $90.1 of INCOME, so that should stay on the K-1.  You still need to report the full amount of income.

But then you have $64 in Basis left.  That $64 would would be PYA, and the rest carried over.

Does sound more logical?  😁

ClintCPA
Level 3

This is where it is confusing. 

So $90.1k in income on line 1 of the K-1, $64k in basis for 2020 which becomes the PYA, so then even though the client has $187k total carryover losses from prior years, they would then report $26k in income for 2020?

$90k on K-1 line 1 less $64k in PYA losses =  $26k income for 2020.  

What seems strange (and where I get confused) is why they would report any income in 2020 since they had so much in prior year losses.  

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Losses aren't used against income, they are used against Basis.  And although you received $90.1 in Basis, part of the Basis was used up by the Distributions.  So yes, they will pay tax on the $26.  If they hadn't taken Distributions, then there wouldn't be taxable income.

ClintCPA
Level 3

Okay, that is starting to make sense.  I follow the logic.  Thanks for clarification.  I am sure I will be back in the future with more questions.  

I appreciate the help as always.  Your insight is very valuable.  

0 Cheers
Winnie5911
Level 3

What would be done differently if the loss came from the 179 deduction?

0 Cheers
dsocpa
Level 5

I'm wondering about this as well.  2022 taxpayer received a K-1 with $57k Section 179 which they are limited to $0 and must carryover due to basis.  If an amount is entered in box 12 of the k-1 the amount is deducted and $0 carryover shows on form 4562.  If I enter Section 179 the amount doesn't show up as carryover to 2023.

As others have stated PS is lacking in the basis limitations for flow-through entities.

0 Cheers
JCT1
Level 3

I currently have a client with two S-Corp K-1s, each has a sizable current loss and his basis in both is zero.  The Forms 6198 for both are the same to indicate no basis and both Forms 7203 indicate the current losses are disallowed.  One of the losses is properly omitted from Sch E whereas the other is not, it's shown as allowable loss on Sch A of K-1 Worksheet and on Sch E for one, even though the program clearly knows there is no basis.  The K-1s, 6198s and 7203s are each filled out the same for both, so why the inconsistent treatment?   I've tried exiting the program, everything but rebooting which is a royal pain and shouldn't be necessary.    The only difference between the K-1's is that the one for which the loss is properly handled is imported, since I also prep the S Corp return. but the other isn't- could that somehow  be causing this issue?

0 Cheers
Thx in advance
Level 2

I still haven't found a great resolution to this issue.  I'm still having to keep track of losses manually.  When I import the K-1 from the S Corp I created in QB, it does not put the loss on Schedule E, so I'm assuming this is just happening on the one you entered manually?  If so, I think you are also going to have to adjust that manually.  I have been doing this by changing Line 1 on the K-1 entry worksheet to reflect what the allowable income amount is.  I go into the spot where you can enter detail, write "amount per original K-1" and put the actual box 1 number on that line, then I put another line item that says "disallowed loss to carryforward" and show that amount as a negative, so when I'm done, the K-1 entry shows only the allowable amount.  Wish I could give you better guidance, but I think it's still just a system limitation. Hoping they fix it for 2023.

ClintCPA
Level 3

I am also having to manually update the K-1 amounts as the 7203 is not limiting the loss properly in the 1040 forms even when entered properly.  It appears as though the 7203 basis limitation form in ProSeries 1040 form is information only and does not connect to the actual K-1.