Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when does NYS start accepting 2020 returns?

Tanyataxgirl
Level 3

I'm aware that federal wont be accepting returns until February 12th< but when does NYS?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

NYS is a piggyback state, which means e-filing of NY returns has to first go through the IRS' MeF, which is shut down.  You will, therefore, not be able to e-file NYS until Feb 12 (in 2021 for those who come back to our present time from the future).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

NYS is a piggyback state, which means e-filing of NY returns has to first go through the IRS' MeF, which is shut down.  You will, therefore, not be able to e-file NYS until Feb 12 (in 2021 for those who come back to our present time from the future).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Tanyataxgirl
Level 3

Thank you so much!

Craig-EA
Level 1

I understand that NYS is a piggyback state, however I have filed and the IRS has accepted 4 returns on both 2-11-2021 and 2-12-2021 and both NYS and AZ have yet to accept the corresponding state returns. I wonder if the states are so backed up and unprepared that it is going to takes several days to catch up?

0 Cheers